Monday, August 10, 2009

In the Spotlight - Vicki's challenge #29

On the Christmas Stampin' All Year Long blog, the challenge this week from Vicki is to use the spotlight technique. I've always wanted to try this but as usual it just got shoved to the bottom of my list of things to try. It's a fun technique and there is something refreshing about not having to color the WHOLE image.

A couple of weeks ago, I was suffering from migraines and was unable to do Sankari's challenge of using snowmen for a card. Snowmen can be challenge to me to color because they are white...how do you make them stand out? With the spotlight technique, I was able to do that in a pretty easy way.

Yes, my snowman has some blue to him - but come on folks, it has to be COLD for my snowman to survive so surely he's a little blue!! I colored him with my Copics and added a little Stickle to his hat band and scarf. The snowman image is another freebie from Dustin Pike. The paper is from My Mind's Eye and I added a few crystal brads and a little ribbon as well. The main focus is definitely my snowman so I didn't want to overdue the embellishments. Here's a close up of the spotlight technique.

You can find a good tutorial for the spotlight technique here. I hope you decide to give it a try. Be sure to share what you create. It's always fun looking at all the wonderful cards. To see more wonderful examples, go to the main Christmas blog or you can click on each DT's links over to the right.

Have a great Monday and thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

Tina said...

Wow Michelle, your card is pretty. The snowman is aweseome!

Anna said...

Super cute, Michelle!

Stef H said...

one of my favorite techniques! and you rocked it! this is absolutely fabulous!

hugs,

Karen Wilson said...

Oh! This looks SO neat!! Great job on your card, I'm off to chk out that technique!

Maria said...

Hey Michelle! Awesome job on the spotlight challenge! Your snowman is adorable! Looks like he is looking through a window. Great choices of colors and I LOVE your choice of DP!! Such a pretty patterns!

With snowmen. . I color the inside edge of the image with light blue, gray, or beige then add glitter or color the background blue or add snowflakes to help the snowman stand out.

Keep up the great work!

Barb said...

This is adorable, Michelle!! LOVE the glitteriness, and your coloring is great :)

Jodi said...

Very cute card! Love your spolighted image, he is adorable!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Cathy said...

Great take on the challenge!! Love that snowman!! Too cute!! Hugs, Cathy

Cassie said...

just heard about your tac win -- congrats girl!!

Tina said...

great card - love the snowman -

Tammy B. said...

I LOVE this one because of the snowman and the chocolate brown and turquoise look so AWESOME together!!

Tammi said...

Ack, oh wow, now that is CUTE! Pretty paper, I have some of that somewhere. :)